Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bountiful Baskets 4/7/12

ok, so I decided I should start doing a blog when I get my Bountiful Basket so everyone can see how wonderful doing this every week (or almost every week...) can be.

The basket I got this past Saturday had the following:

4 - Sweet Potatoes
1 -  Green Leaf Lettuce (not iceburg)
1 bundle - Asparagus
2 bundles? - Broccoli
2 - zucchini
1 bag of brussel sprouts (gave away!)
1 small bag - green apples
 5 - oranges
1 - pineapple (which my parents took and made a pineapple upsidedown cake with)
6 - bananas
3 - grapefruit


Each basket is different, although they always try and have some sort of lettuce in there, which is fine by me. The place I pick up my basket from is also a produce company, so a lot of times they have lots of produce for sale that you can buy there, and its super cheap. Ill probably never buy produce from a store again unless there is something I absolutely need and didn't get in my basket. Bountiful Baskets also offers a special themed veggie lover's pack, which this week is Asian themed, and gives you more for around $8.50 for the bag. They also offer large bags of granola, and whole wheat bread (5 loaves) and sometimes other specials. When you sign up you get emails every week with what is available. How much? $15.00 just for the basket. Well, its $16.50 after a handling fee, but come on! Only catch is, you have to buy between Noon on Monday to a certain time on Tuesday, then pick up your basket on Saturday. They offer many locations, and are always looking for volunteers, so I volunteer almost every Saturday unless I have something else going on.

So I used most of the asparagus already, and gave half to my parents. I also used part of a zucchini.

Tonight I am making sweet potato fried and breaded chicken strips for dinner. Hope the fries come out well, since I am not huge on sweet potatoes.

Check out Bountiful Baskets and learn more. Its a great program, I am so glad I was told about it!

Lisa Z

No comments:

Post a Comment