Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chibi's Story

Chubby Chibi-San Fuzzbutt, AKA Chibi. Chibi means little or small in Japanese. He was born on 1/10/2008.

I met the puppy that would be known as Chibi when he was approximately 5 weeks old. I knew the moment I held him that I HAD to have him. He was also the last puppy for sale, and he would be my 3rd corgi.

this pic was taken the night I picked him up. My husband (at that time was the boyfriend) was at a friend's house, so I stopped there before heading home so he could meet the puppy.




He slowly grew up into one of the most fun loving dogs I have ever had. We took him every where we could go, which, at that time, was on the mini cooper runs. Many of the people in that club immediately fell in love with Chibi and would always ask about him if we didn't bring him with us.




 Here are some more pics of him:









Here comes the sad part of the story....

One day, I woke up and got ready to go to work, feeling pretty good. I had slept well and was in a good mood. I didn't realize that only 2 of my 3 came to greet me that morning. I just happened to look in the living room near the fireplace, and saw Chibi there. I ran up to him screaming his name, and I discovered there was a chip bag stuck on his head. I pulled it off, and to much heartbreak realized he was gone. My fun loving, drive-me-crazy, singing corgi was gone. I can honestly say this was one of the worst days I have had in a very very long time. Chibi was not even 5 years old. Even as I write this story I am in tears. 8/21/2012

That day we had already had a vet appointment for one of my other dogs to go in, he is being treated for Valley Fever. We took Chibi in and had him cremated. Vicki, the head of the AZ Cactus Corgi Rescue, was kind enough to stamp his paw in clay so I had his pawprint to keep with me. She also made me a wonderful bracelet that has my favorite pic of Chibi on it that I either wear or keep in my purse to have him with me.

When the corgi nation found out, they sent an outpouring of love and kind words that I would never forget. my mailbox was full for weeks with sympathy cards from across the US. Paige Davis with Corgipals sent me a custom corgi hat that I will always cherish and I wear it now that it is cold. Mostly my daughter wears it, she looks cuter with it on then I do. She knows it is Chibi.

I am very fortunate that I have my other two boys, Kirby and Jack.






I have also was given the chance to open my home to a wonderful corgi named Doch. He is currently our foster, with plans of being adopted by us. He is a senior, he just turned 11 this month.
I had no plans to get another dog, I wanted to wait, but I feel that Doch was meant to be. He reminds me of Chibi in so many ways, but in no way can he ever replace Chibi. He has helped the whole family heal, and I can never be thankful enough for that.

Chibi's death was preventable, and it was a very hard lesson to learn. I hope that in telling his story it may prevent others from the same type of accidental death.

Every night I give my boys hugs and kisses and pets, and every morning I greet them with more hugs and kisses and pets. I want them to know that I love them, just in case I lose them suddenly like Chibi.

I love you Chibi, and I miss you still. I hope you are singing and playing ball at the Rainbow Bridge.I still have yet to clean your nose art off the windows in my car...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story ... so personal, so painful ... it is a terrible thing to lose a beloved pet, even moreso in a way like that.

    I am glad Corgi Nation was there for you. It is a special community.

    Love to Chibi at the Bridge!

    ReplyDelete